Friday, June 26, 2009

Unorthodox tanking

A while ago, I mentioned that Unrelenting Assault was something of an unorthodox tanking talent. Matt Rossi has tried it out not so long ago in a spec something like this, and I can't seem to find his post again, but I vaguely remember what he said. According to him, it was fun, but the rage coming in didn't seem to be sufficient because his Revenge was stunning almost everything in sight.
Let me explain. What he basically did, was combine UA and Improved Revenge, such that he would be basically spamming Revenge every GCD.
Fast forward abit: I was in my second warrior, X, DPS'ing a Naxx10 raid, just killed Grobbulus, and about to proceed to Gluth. Since it was a raid mostly composed of friends, I volunteered to kite tank the zombies that Gluth spawns. Throwing on my tank gear, I realised, to the horror of horrors, that X has dual specced into PvE Arms and PvP Arms. "Oh well, how hard can it be, right?" was what I thought to myself. In we go, and to my surprise, I actually had a lot of fun spamming Revenge on the zombies.

Taking what Matt did a step further, using my same warrior X, I managed to tank the whole of heroic Gundrak in the cookie cutter PvE Arms spec. Threat output was slightly lower than normal, and damage taken was quite abit higher than I would have liked, but Revenge spamming was seriously fun (keep in mind that Thunder Clap and Cleave are essentials in holding mobs too, and even more so in this case). Kudos to B and Z and whoever else went with me (I can't remember, sorry).

As a final note, UA is NOT meant to be a main tank/progression tank ability. It can, however, provide tons of fun if you do choose to mess around with it in a 5-man or 10-man farming raid offtank (make sure your party members are sympathetic though!).

No comments: