Sunday, May 31, 2009

Respect has to be earned

During TBC, I met this person who played a DPS class, but wasn't too fantastic with it. Towards the end of TBC, this person levelled a warrior for some unknown reason and tried tanking with it. Having done a few Karazhan alt runs with said person, I had a few observations.

1) Always assuming you're the main tank, -100 points. When somebody invites you into MY run, stop trying to lead MY run. Yes I'm an egoistic snob, so sue me.

2) Never debuffing the boss(es) you're tanking, -500 points. Let me clarify this further. In those days, even when *I* was tanking Nightbane, I would always keep up Thunder Clap, Demoralizing Shout, Commanding Shout, 5-sunder/devastate stack, Shield Block (it used be on a 2-charge, 6 second CD timer), AND still be able to press Shield Slam, Revenge, AND watch DBM's timer bars and be ready to stance dance for Berserker Rage's fear immunity. If *I* can do it, I dont see why *you* are unable to do it on *any* other boss.

Let's face the hard, cold facts. Every warrior worth his salt will have Improved Thunder Clap. That's already 20% LESS physical damage you will be taking overall. Throw in Demo Shout, and your healers will definitely be able to breathe easier. What's the bloody point of having 3 points in a bread-and-butter talent that you *don't* use?

A few weeks later, said warrior was "LF2M tanks for Kara." Since I desperately wanted to go there and gear my druid, I gave an affirmative response. No reply. At that time, I was in heroic Slave Pens with a few friends, one of whom expressed interest to bring his tank too. I think this friend must have sent an affirmative personal message, unlike me who replied to said warrior in a common channel. Having thought I secured a spot, I rushed us through the rest of the instance. After finishing, I said in the channel: Invite for kara?

No reply. Don't even have the basic decency to reply? -1000 points.

Some time later on, my friends and I were in heroic Steamvaults, for the heroic daily quest. We had a PUG who disconnected before the last boss. So a friend asks (in the same channel as previously mentioned): LF1M dps H SV heroic daily. The same warrior volunteers to come and DPS. We summon him, we kill Warlord Kalithresh, loot the quest item, and go our separate ways. But something catches my eye. Said warrior, on the boss fight, put out a grand total of 200 DPS, decked out in Zul'Aman and Karazhan epics. Upon closer inspection, I realised that he was Protection-specced, and Recount showed me that Heroic Strike was 50% of his DPS, which left me going HUH? Now in those days, before the advent of TG or Dual Spec, I had no problems pulling off 700-800 single target DPS as a prot warrior, due to Devastate spam being so powerful back then.

Not bothered to find out how to play your class? -400 points.

To elaborate further, to this day, said warrior has been playing the class as a main, and still uses Heroic Strike in low rage situations, and prioritizes Devastate over Shield Slam and Revenge. Said warrior's priority system would probably look like: (HS), Devastate>Revenge>Thunder Clap>Shield Slam.

In Wrath, rotations have all but gone out of the window (with the probable exception of Death Knights), to be replaced by what we call priority systems.

Below is THE prot warrior priority system, blatantly plagiarized from TankSpot:



Oh and, -2000 points has recently, or maybe not so recently taken to macro tanking - in particular, putting Taunt in the macro. Now, if you don't already know, warriors are one class where you CANNOT use a macro to tank, and second, pet and player taunt abilities are now subject to the same DIMINISHING RETURNS.

YOU ARE TOTALLY RUINING MY FAVOURITE CLASS.

P.S. If you are reading this, it's not entirely personal. I rest my case.

No comments: