Saturday, May 30, 2009

Controlling that temper

Just less than an hour ago, a couple of my friends asked me to tank heroic Nexus. I said fine. Group, therefore, was: Me on my druid, PUG owl, PUG DK, priest (friend, lets call him B), ret pally (friend).

Somewhere at the 3rd pull, owl uses Typhoon. Me raises eyebrows and shrugs it off, saying Maybe he's new and doesn't know it yet.

One pull later, Typhoon comes in again.

Let's pause the story at this point. If you haven't already guessed, Typhoon is a banned spell when I am tanking, as are Thunderstorm and Blast Wave. Reason? They knock all my carefully-positioned mobs back, and my efforts are wasted, AND I have to work harder now by running around like a headless chicken, trying to hold aggro on the mobs. Let's learn something here, people. Its called consideration. Learn to bloody appreciate that tank standing there taking a beating from all the mobs and not screw up his hard work. If used in an emergency, fine, but otherwise... be prepared to face my wrath. -end rant.

Said owl's reputation with me is edging into hated hostile, but then I again thought to myself, It's only been two times.
Boy was I wrong.
Guess what happens on the next pull? Yep, another Typhoon. Owl walks up to me and the mobs I'm tanking, and uses Typhoon. So, in as nice-a-voice-as-I-can-muster, I say in party chat: Do you mind not using Typhoon?

Naturally, said owl does not respond, and naturally, three pulls later, that darned spell comes in again. At this point, I was seriously contemplating kicking him from the party, but being someone who likes to give chances, I gave him one. Also, at this point, B mentioned that maybe he doesn't understand English. Being the silly people that we are, we tried getting our point across in Mandarin, French, Malay, Hokkien, and goodness knows what other languages.

Still no reply.

So when the next Typhoon came, just after the voidwalker boss, I absolutely refused to build aggro on a mob that he was hitting, and refused to Taunt it back to me. As I was doing this, I said (in our common channel) to B: Let him die.

Lo-and-behold, he died! (See what I mean by the power of a tank?) Now for the record, I am not usually like this when it comes to having mobs peel away. To me, if I'm tanking, the mobs should only be on me and me alone, and if a mob is hitting someone else, it feels all wrong to me, that I have not done my job properly and deserve to be hung or shot. Also, because I absolutely hate the idea of a mob peeling away from me and will regard it as a grave injustice to the person (and myself) who pulled the mob if I did not Taunt it back to me.

And, as you might have already guessed, he still did not learn his lesson.

I think I should stop being so soft.

We later learned that said owl was capable of conversing in English, as he was LFG 10-man raid in the trade channel. Welcome to my ignore list.

No comments: